10 years ago I bought plans off the internet for a 16′ electric drive boat, Today it’s officially done

Finished product first! (We've actually made a few changes since this picture was taken last year, but it shows it happily sitting at our dock on the Erie canal)
2007. I was in middle school and saved up my allowance/birthday money to buy plans from a website called Glen-L (I was a weird kid). They included full size patterns for cutting all of these panels out of 1/4" plywood. The next step was to seal them all in two part marine epoxy for waterproofing and longevity.
We then attached this temporary frame to the bottom panels, and began a process known as "stitch-n-glue". The main idea is to "sew" all the panels together with copper wire. Think of the whole process like making a big, rigid, floaty dress from patterns you bought on the internet.
good shot of how the "stitching" works
The transom. Hard part to get right.
Installing the transom.
The hull taking shape!
Once the hull was basically in place, we filled in every seam with glue (made from more epoxy and some additive), cut out all the copper wire, and then covered the seams with strips of fiberglass cloth and more epoxy.
The front benches being framed out after gluing up all the seams.
Beams! these triangular pieces will support the most satisfying part of the boat: the decking. But that will come back later.
Up to this point we had been surviving the winter in this one-car garage that a friend of a friend let us squat in. It was tight.
Me and dad. We thought we were so close to done at this point. Ha. This was 2011.
We moved the hull home and flipped it over so we could cover the entire outside with fiberglass. It was a really tricky process that took a lot of practice, and we really learned on the job. I didn't include a lot of pictures of this part because it's boring and anyone who actually knows what they're doing would notice that we sucked at it.
sanding
first coat of paint! It's not pretty but we had to get something down because the epoxy is sensitive to UV radiation, and we planned on keeping it outside in the sun for a while.
lookin proud
I then graduated High School and went off to college, and my parents moved to a different state so the project took a back seat for a while. But we got back to work in the summer of 2014.
This is us continuing to frame out the benches and decking, and work on the electrical. Did I mention it's electric?
You can just see where we installed some plastic conduit inside some wooden ducting to run wiring between the front and back benches. There are six 6-volt deep cycle lead acid batteries wired in series to power a 36v golf cart motor. I'll come back to that.
Decking! it's made of thin (about 3/8" by 1/2") strips of African mahogany bent around the contour of the hull. We installed the first deck beam along the inside of the chine (boat speak for the edge) and then glued one strip at a time on top of that working toward the outside edge. The glue had to cure overnight, and we only had enough clamps to do one strip at a time, so this process took several weeks. But I think the finished product was worth the commitment.
My dad and brother helping clamp/glue the decking.
Gluing the decking across the stern.
The decking looking rough before sanding.
It took a LOT of sanding.
I still have nightmares about the sanding.
Booom! Sanded and varnished.
I think it loooks pretty great.
Now for the power! Unfortunately there isn't really that much of it.
This is a 4 HP electric motor from an early 90's "EZ-go" golf cart. We modified part of the rear end from the same golf cart to hold the motor in the rear of the boat.
The golf cart rear end
The motor hanging from the motor box, freshly glued into the bottom of the boat. That green part is a fiberglass tube that the drive shaft and steering column will rise up through.
Top of the drive shaft coming up out of the box, attached to the motor via belts.
Tiller.
Another shot of motor box. Here you can see the big resistor we used for speed control. (We can travel either slow, or slightly less slow by bypassing this resistor.)
Lower unit from a Johnson outboard motor. After this picture was taken we cut the lower unit, and welded a stainless steel tube to it that fits around the drive shaft and served as a steering column..
Propeller. Old and dirty and used but gets the job done.
Installed!
How we attached the actual wooden tiller to the steering column.
The hood going down
closeups of how the tiller attaches
Batteries! these each weigh about 70 lbs, and there are six of them. Two under the rear bench, and two on each side of the front bench.
main cutoff switch for the batteries. Installed this after I accidentally welded two 0-gauge wires together. That was scary.
wiring under control panel. Most of this is so we can monitor voltage across individual batteries, but there's also some relays for speed control and switching over to "charging" mode.
Ammeter. Not really necessary but we were curious how much it would draw under load and thought it looked cool.
The control panel went through several iterations as we experimented with different methods for speed control. Hence the unused holes in the top right. The next minor upgrade will be to re-do the control panel so it looks a little more finished.
Launch day!!!
:((( I miss my dog. Glad he got to see it finished.
Today! Only just got around to the second coat of paint
Name and registration decals applied: it's official.

Thanks for reading!

Source : BenderRodriguezz from Reddit