1927 Kitchen Remodel- First attempt at home renovations

1927 Kitchen Remodel- First attempt at home renovations

After photo first
Cabinets were too far gone. We wanted the sink in front of the window, and we wanted the oven where the sink is now. This made much more sense from a practical standpoint.
Not much cabinet space, and no room to cook with the oven arranged in the corner.
Calm before the storm
First puncture of wall. No going back at this point. I had never heard of lathe and plaster before so ripping all this open was eye opening to say the least.
Strong like bull
hating my life carrying bucketful of plaster.
We loved this old built in cabinet, but our idea was to open up the kitchen to the rest of the house. The built in had to go. We salvaged some of the decorative doors for display at a later time.
This is how you used to have to turn the disposal on. really fun, and really safe to have the outlet right there especially since our sink was clogging every other day. Did you know you can unclog a sink with a toilet plunger? I wish I hadn't had to learn that.
This came pouring out of the wall when I opened it up. Luckily there was only this much that I think had leaked down from the attic.
mmm vermiculite
Cabinets out. the wall to the right is the one we wanted to remove to open the room up. We also struggled to figure out what to do in this empty space. The stairs above the refrigerator make it an awkward space to fill. We decided to frame it in and create a walk in pantry here.
As we began tearing down the wall between the dining room and kitchen we uncovered this brick chimney that had been hidden since the house was built in 1927.
In the process of removing the wall. No it is not a load bearing wall, and yes we checked with an engineer.
I resorted to a sawzall to remove the plaster. It pretty much sucks no matter tool you use.
Walls completely stripped. New electrical in, old knob and tube out. New plumbing in for the sink under the window.
This thing was a beast to rip out.
Meth lab tent I built to keep all the dust out of the rest of our house. It worked great and pulling it down at the end was like a big reveal of the finished product.
Note the increasing amount of beer cans as the project went on.
close call with tetanus lol
This window would come out to be replaced.
Getting this wall removed and opened up was a lot of work but totally worth it in the end product.
Wall coming out. This looks out to our dining room.
The original masonry work is extremely sloppy probably because they never thought someone would open up the wall so they did it quickly.
Used a grinder to clean of all the extra mortar
Hi
Brick after some grinder work. dusty job but the result was pretty good. Just need to scrub clean with some acidic solution to remove all the white film.
Framing in the pantry.
I felt like a goddess on the mitre saw after a while.
finally looking like a clean slate.
new window is in, and new drywall on all the walls.
Santa Fe putting in work.
Walk in pantry framed and drywalled
Self leveling concrete to get rid of as many dips in the floor as possible. The house has settled and this was the best way I could get a somewhat flat surface to lay tile on.
This is the sight i was welcomed to after washing out all the equipment and getting ready to close up shop for the night at 2AM. I was displeased.
We went with butcher block countertops and I stained and finished them using waterlox. Yes it is food safe, but no I don't plan to cut on these counters anyway.
waterlox treatment going on. Smelly stuff open a window.
We used a cabinet as an island for some extra storage
Farm sink from IKEA, 1/3 the cost of most farm sinks. Excellent quality.
First day we could actually use our kitchen again after 4 months. Spaghetti and garlic bread for the christening.
Wall finally completely removed, now we were able to start putting things back together.
I made this hood cover to add a little pizazz. I ended up having to sand and restain it because I am an amateur and didn't realize the wood glue had bled all over the place.
Decided to do shiplap covering everything besides the backsplash. Painting that looked fun, we hired someone to paint which was the best decision of my life.
Little coffee bar next to the fridge where the stove used to be.
Backsplash went in next.
Painted shiplap final product. Pantry shelves going in.
We salvaged one of the doors from the builtin that I ripped out earlier and displayed it over the sink here. We also found that Colorado peaches box buried in a crawl space under our house. It looks to be at least 60-70 years old.
My little helper working in her kitchen
Source : Huskerfan402 from Reddit