3d printed my own Daft Punk helmet

3d printed my own Daft Punk helmet

Finished project first

Thanks to bendiger on Thingiverse for creating the STLs

Link: www.thingiverse.com/thing:338831

Lots of LEDs

320 exactly for a 8×40 matrix, I had to bend the leads so that when arranged properly nothing shorts
LED holder

I designed an LED holder so I can use as a template while I solder all the LEDs in. I laser cut it and started going to work
Halfway

At this point i'm starting to get into soldering. I soldered all of the positive leads into the rows and all of the negative leads to columns, this gives me the ability to multiplex with shift registers later.
Done soldering for now

I finished that day, took roughly 6 hours or so with some breaks.
Breadboarding

So I used six 74HC595 which are 8-bit serial to parallel shift registers, the first one controls all of the rows by providing 5v (through a PN2222a transistor since the shift register can only supply 20mA, where the whole row when on would use up to 800mA).
The last 5 provide a ground for each column when the output is set to low.
I am using an arduino uno to control everything, later moved on to the pro mini for the size while in the helmet. I included a bluetooth module so I can control it with my phone.
It lives!

I've done a clock that was 8×40 before so I reused my code to test it out
Shrinking it

Made it small enough to fit in the helmet. Tried my best to keep it nice looking and color coded.
Minor mishap

So I am controlling the whole thing with my phone to change to different animations. While desoldering the headers on the bluetooth module I ripped up the pads and ended up having to solder directly to the pins on the module.
All done!

It works!

Had to fix 5 connections
I didn't include the ear LEDs because I was excited to finish and forgot to take pictures. I used two ws2812b strips, 8 LEDs each.
Half way done printing the helmet

So I grabbed the files from bendiger on Thingiverse.
Link: www.thingiverse.com/thing:338831

I printed it on my makerfarm prusa i3v 8", using white PLA.

Done printing

On the files he included these notches to put zipties around to hold everything in place. I then hot glued everything together which I later regret.
Bondo

Start of the smoothing out process. I used bondo to fill in the seams and smooth out the layered finish of the prints. I then start sanding it with 100 and 220 grit sandpaper to get ready for priming.
Filler primer is amazing

After smoothing out the bondo and the print to the best of my ability and time left (one week at this point). I started finishing it up with a filler primer. I then used spot putty on the problem areas and started sanding like crazy. First 220, then moving up to 500 and finishing it off by wetsanding with 1000 grit
First coat!

I used krylon metallic silver as it seemed the best choice for maximum shiny! I ended up doing around 3 coats. I also decided not to put a clear coat because I started noticing cracking at some of the visor seams because the hot glue isn't doing a good enough job making it sturdy.
Tinted visor!

I got some PETG 1/16" thick. I cut it to size the best i could then heated it up and molded it to fit the visor. I had to cut some excess off later but overall it came out pretty well. To tint I got this spray on tint you can get at an auto store.
Finished product!

Printing took 72 hours for 26 pieces. Worked on it for about 60-70 hours outside of printing.
Overall took roughly 5 weeks of neglecting school and real life responsibilities.
I made an android app to control about 10 preset animations I created. If you have any animation ideas please feel free to let me know!

GitHub: github.com/dsarmiento/DaftPunk

Source : CrazyElectrum from Reddit