5' x 10' MASSIVE gaming table (First time woodworking)

5′ x 10′ MASSIVE gaming table (First time woodworking)

Great view of the table. Just for scope. Thats a 3×3 battlemat on the surface. This thing was YUUUUGE. Final dimensions are 60" x 120" (153 cm x 305cm) With the play surface measuring 48" x 107" (122cm x 272cm)
"I'm fairly positive you don't want to do that Joe…"
My buddy wanted stainless cup holders, so he got stainless cup holders damnit.
First day: Bright-eyed and full of confidence that would soon go right out the window as this was my first wood working project I have ever done and I would be met with the harsh realities of putting shit together that didn't come from Ikea.
Its hard to imagine that this little pile of wood would end up turning into a massive gaming table.
I pre cut all of the smaller pieces of wood (mainly the 2x4s for the legs and support braces). I also cut all of the 1x6s and 1x4s for the top and sides of the surface.
Ripping the two plywood sheets down to size.
After the first full day of work. I almost got one full segment completed.
Planning the legs out. I would end up moving to three legs per side.
So I really didn't like the feel of just the 1 x 6 without even a chamfered edge, and TBH it looked rather drab. So I ran to the hardware store and grabbed some baseboard molding for like $4-5 a foot and I was rather surprised by the results. 18 Ga brads and some gorilla wood glue works miracles.
Profile of the molding, I think it looks sharp as hell, and it was super easy to get on.
I got all the legs in and joined the two segments for the first time.
The sanding is FINALLY completed
Gaps in the seams have now been filled in and sanded down. The original plans called for quarteround to be used as a holder for slats that would cover the table, I didn't need that, so I reversed them and used it to extend the arm rests and provide a place to hid LEDs.
Fully sanded down, the seam between the molding and the 1×6 on top became practically invisible.
This is after two coats of the Ebony Minwax.
I put on two coats of the Ebony and wanted a little more depth to the color, so I lightly sanded a few areas to remove some of the Ebony and then followed it up with Cherry Mahogany.
This is what it looked like after the 3rd coat of stain, this time with Cherry Mahogony Minwax.
This is what it looked like after the 3rd coat of stain, this time with Cherry Mahogony Minwax.
After the poly and before the wet sanding.
After the wet sanding @ 400 grit
After wet sanding to 400 grit
After the 3800 grit compound.
After the first run through with the 2500 grit compound. The foreground shows what it looked like after the 2000 grit wet sanding. I wet sanded at 400, 500, 1000, 2000, and then finished with 2500 grit and buffed out finally at 3800 grit compound.
After the 2500 Grit compound
Detail of the finished finish. I was rather pleased with how it all came out. This is after the 3800 grit compound.
That mirror gloss shine. Only took like 2 weeks of work to achieve. This is after the 3800 grit compound.
This is gonna be a long night…
These damn things are stupid small. All in all, 84 solder connections total.
The finished connection.
Testing all the LED solders actually worked.
Testing the top LEDs after finally getting them into position.
Testing the top LEDs after finally getting them into position.
Roughing out all the romex runs.
Yes, I know, brown outlets and a black background.
With the outlets finally all wired up and the disconnects for the two halves put in, I finally plugged it into the AC. And it didn't blow up!!!
Underbelly shot with the LEDs now soldered up and installed for the under-lighting. These outlets were all eventually covered up.
One of the legs prior to wrapping them. Just two 2 x 4s glued and screwed together.
All six legs with the leather and rivets all completed.
All six legs with the leather and rivets all completed. Yes I know they're crooked :-/
Packing the table up for the move to my buddies house.
Packing the table up for the move.
Packing the table up for the move.
Me attaching the bolts on the underside to join the two halves. 10x 3/8ths hex bolts were used for this. You aint going… NOWHERE.
Closeup of the play surface with the battle mat on it
A very crooked shot of the legs and the under-lighting
The "power" leg
Yeah, my rivets are crooked… Say something. Its "authentic" handmade.
Finally got this damn thing done.
The LEDs are bright as a mofo on this thing.
Yet another crooked picture… :-/
I'm super happy with how the LEDs came out
The play surface is nylon backed vinyl glued to a rubber floor runner.
I made chili this night to celebrate unveiling.
First gaming session on the new table!! Thank you for viewing!!!
Source : schuggs512 from Reddit