Arizona State Bottle Cap Cornhole Boards

Arizona State Bottle Cap Cornhole Boards

Final Product

Arizona State Bottle cap Cornhole I built for for tailgating this season. Took about a month to complete the project not including the bottle cap collecting.
Bottle Caps

Over the last year and a half, I had collected about 3000 bottle caps from parties and tailgates I've had. I had previously made a 2500 cap bottle cap table, so collecting and giving us bottle caps is something all my friends did.
Undecorated Boards

My little brother made these in shop for me. I didn't actually build this part myself. He gave them to me undecorated. I decided to try and give bottle cap cornhole a shot. Googling and looking up this project on reddit resulted in very few hits. It is not a common project, so there was not a lot to go on from a research aspect.
Building the Border

On my previous table, I had used epoxy resin and it worked amazingly. So I was going to use that again and knew there a rim around the board to hold the resin in place. I built a border around the board using 3/8 inch rods. I glued them down using Gorilla Glue and nailed them in for sturdiness.
The Hole

The hole on the boards have a six inch diameter. I bought a 6 inch PVC pipe and cut it 3/8th of an inch to match the height of the border. I was able to just set the PVC pipe on the hole and glue it down. The PVC pipe was slightly more than 6 inches so it worked perfectly to set it on the boards and glue.
Painted and Sealed

After the border and hole were done, I painted the whole thing maroon and gave the edges and hole a sealer using silicone caulk. I couldn't afford any leaks when it came to pouring the resin later on.
Designs

I went through a couple designs before settling on these ones. I'd guess there is about 800 bottle caps on each board. We glued down each cap using superglue to prevent any caps from moving later on when the resin was poured.
Empty Superglue

The empty superglue tubes. This is probably half of what was actually used. When I did the table, I used E6000 and GOOP. I hated the smell but it was much more efficient. I chose superglue this time for less odor even if it cost a little more.
Epoxy

This is the epoxy I used. I used it last time and it worked amazingly. It was rock hard and very little bubbling. It is only meant for indoors, but these boards will be outside 15 hours a month for 3 months a year at most. I do anticipate some yellowing over time, but for now it looks really good. I'm still looking into some possible UV protection varnishes to put over top. Not sure if i'll do that though.
Epoxy Empties

I used 10 boxes of Epoxy. It was a little pricey but it looks really good. I knew this wasn't going to be a cheap project to finish. I had to set the boards on a level surface to pour. I needed enough to essentially overflow the boards because I didn't want a lip that the bags would get caught on.
State Flag Board

This is the state flag of Arizona. Instead of a star, I put a pitchfork.
State Outline and Pitchfork

This is the final product. It came out better than I expected. Go Devils!