Bar shed/Changeroom project 2016.

Bar shed/Changeroom project 2016.

Finished product.

Took forever, way harder than i had thought it would be but a great experience. Bruise pic added to bottom as per request
The Before shot

Pool shed needed.
My inspiration.

Found this pic on the internet
Getting ready to dig

Digging begins

I thought, how hard could it be.

Dig dig dig….. All hand shoveling so far

Well, i thought i was getting somewhere.

At this point i had moved about 3.5 yards of soil by hand. Ended up filling a 5 yard bin, and having about 4 more yards left in a pile at the side of my house
We his a layer of what i can only assume is bedrock from minecraft.

Digging was actually impossible. Had to use a rototiller and a pick axe. Shoulda known i was in for a battle. Here we have gotten to level, as level as possible. Time to dig post holes for a retaining wall to hold all that soil back.

EDIT>…… lots of comments about the bedrock. It's not true bedrock but is what is essentially a natural concrete/cement. Hard as all heck and comes out in chunks not like normal dirt. Just wanted to clarify that part, but it's why i referred to it as "minecraft bedrock"

So the posts are in.

I realized i had no pictures between digging the holes and setting the posts. I will share why. That layer of "bedrock" continues underneath my whole property underground. I hired a bobcat with auger to dig the holes. He did 1/2 of one hole and quit, literally leaving and refusing to work. I Managed to get another guy who guaranteed results. I needed 14 holes dug, he got through 9, appologized and left. The remainder all had to be JACKHAMMERED…… literally the worst ground you could imagine.
I was ready to quit my life at this point.

Posts are set 3 feet deep, approximately 2 feet above ground. Set in 2 bags of cement each to hold together. All cement mixed by hand in a wheel barrow. 6×6 posts holding back 2×6 boards, all held together by 3 inch coated screws
In go the 12 inch sonotubes for the shed footings.

These need to be filled with 4.5 bags of cement each, and metal saddles are installed in the concrete with a rebar end to hold the shed footing beams
6x6x12 "sleepers" installed in saddles

Held in with 5 inch carriage bolts.
same

The sleepers need to be levelled, using a 4 foot and string level. Shim as needed with cedar shim. Once levelled they were attatched with the carriage bolts
2×8 floor joists 16 OC

Because the shed was 8×12 we used 8 foot lumber for the runs, so tehy only had to be cut 6 inches. We used a air powered nailer to fasten the joists and beams together. The cuts were all done via circular saw
3/4 exterior plywood installed.

Samesis with the nail gun, plus we glued the joists with PL premium. Nailed on every joist about 12 – 18 inches apart
Here come the walls.

Framed 16 om center, the walls at the back needed the siding attatched first prior to standing. They were to close to the retaining wall behind to get a good fastener on them. The nail gun saved me again, used the same framing nailer with 2 inch nails intead of the 3.5 inch spikes used in the framing.
You can see the widow frame on the right wall for in the change room.

The post on left is notched at top and bottom to accept the beams and hold strong via gravity. All attatced with more 5 inch carriage bolts. Beams are double 2×8 for structural strength.

WBPT(wall building pro tip)
If you are attempting to build 8 foot walls, use the 92 5/8 2×4 available at lowes/depot. No cuts were required for the studs in the above photo

Some siding going up.

Used smartside 4×8 panels painted to the color of choice. Pretty nice stuff for the price. Paint was behr premium deck and fence paint in a matte finish applied via roller and brushes to get in grooves
2 coats did the trick
Framing the roof, first time but it turned out great

Learned about the angles of birdsmouths via Youtube, can't really share anything about this part since i basically followed that step by step.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBxcx6YKz54

Framing for roof is 2×4 16 in on center and again fastened with my savior of a nail gun and 3.5 in spikes.
Roof sheathing, fell of the ladder doing this, super nasty bruise, will share upon request lol

Practice safe ladder usage…..
Plywood sheathing done

1/2 inch plywood attatched with trusty nailerino and 1.75 inch nails. You can see a test piece of fascia as well. I was attempting to see how it would all work together.
Shingles and fascia are in

fascia is 1×6 FJP pre primed. It is attached via a finish nailer and cut with a mitre saw. Shingles are a 30 year ICO product in Double grey.
You can see here there is black landscape fabric behind the wall. It is needed to keep plants from poking out front. It is installed prior to backfilling the wall but that is another project all together
Bartop project

1×6 poplar planks over top of 3/4 plywood. Used clamps to glue together to laminate with wood glue, attatched with short screws from underneath. Cut on the mitre saw.
JEEBUS is watching you.

Bartop

Finished with a fine grit sand paper and a couple coats of helmsman eurethane. Applied with a foam brush.
Cedar shakes, door trim back wall and wiring all completed. Sorry for lack of pictures of those steps.

So from last photo to here a lot has happened. The trim and door have been installed, the door was a prehung door from lowes, hung according to instructions. The trim is PVC so it should never rot, all cut on my trusty mitre saw and installed with a finish nailer. All my air powered tools have been powered by my little porter cable 150psi pancake compressor. The back wall is make of pine planks, again using the finish nailer to install. There is a fridge under the counter but i have shut down the hut for the winter so it's all inside for the season.
Source : Spicoli1 from Reddit