house for 40k- Turned it into our dream home

Bought a house for 40k- Turned it into our dream home!

Have to start with the end in mind. This is the finished product.
Bought the house in 2011. It was bank owned and was in the worst condition of any house I had ever seen. I convinced myself that I could fix it and went ahead with the purchase. I paid 40k after months of negotiating with the bank. The thing is, no one wanted it.
Made quick work of demolition. Every bit of lath and plaster was removed. I vaccummed every nook and cranny of the framing because I am anal and hate the thought of any junk left in the walls or above the ceiling.
Like everyone else, I wanted open concept. Temporarily supported the ceiling joists in order to replace the bearing wall. I drew up plans of what was existing and paid an engineer 200 bucks to complete calcs for me. This is all the city needed.
Structural work complete.
I removed an old shotty addition that was falling down (see the change in colors- the beige used to be unpermitted interior space.) I built the patio in its place because I couldnt imagine a layout that would make the enclosed space look normal.
Late work hours the whole way through. I spent every day after work at the property, and sun-up to well past sun-down on the weekends.
The completed patio- The city would later make me add more joist because they claimed I was overspanned. I wasn't- but when it comes to inspectors- you have to choose your battles wisely.
Roof demolition complete and replacement of dry rotted fascia under way.
I rented a paint sprayer at home depot and completed painting of trim and eves. It was much easier to do it at this point than after the roof was on- at that point I would have to be careful and I dont like careful.
Roofing complete. Between two guys I hired and myself- it took us a long weekend- Friday afternoon to Sunday night.
All new plumbing installed- Left up to professionals.
All new duct work installed- Again left to professionals.
Replaced all old cast iron windows. This was one of my favorite parts of the project. I hired a labor and between us, we completed 8 windows in 8 hours. The process was tedious but we got a good system. I marked the plaster- he cut it with a grinder, I demod, we both hung the new window. Got get a good flow going.
Window replacemnt in progress.
New window in place.
Drywall and insulating well under way.
Insulation and itching go hand in hand- Gotta wear a face mask, long sleeves, pants and gloves. That stuff is awful.
Late night taping.
Early morning taping.
Hired a stucco company to completely re-stucco the exterior.
Stucco underway- you can see the joist I had to add on the underside of the patio here.
Stucco complete.
Brand new panel and all brand new electrical wiring. I did a large portion of this with two electrician friends. We got a green tag from the city on the first go.
Installing kitchen cabinets.
Power on and Kitchen installation progress.
Kitchen coming together.
So many late nights.
Added a small wardrobe closet in a space that would have otherwise been wated.
Trim work around new doors pretty well underway.
It cant all go well- This was the first version of the bathroom. After living in the house for about a year- the tile started to fail. The lesson learned: never hang tile on green board for a shower. I take the responsibility for this one but I did talk about this prior to starting with a dude at Home Depot. He said it'd be FINE. Well it wasn't and I came to learn how not fine it is. From here on out I will always use cement backer and redguard (everywhere not just the joints.)
Demo of the bad tile. Notice all of the wet wood and insulation. Somehow there was no mold- maybe something to do with living in Arizona- it's a "dry heat."
Cleanded everything up and let the framing dryout for a couple days.
Bathroom round 2. Done right this time.
Redguard everywhere! It is really a great product.
Tile work complete.
Hated the first baby blue color so I changed that too. Also added a glass shower door because I wanted to I guess.
Carpet installed and just a bit more trim work to do.
Choosing a color for the exterior.
It looked fine on the small sample but I absolutely hated it when it was all said and done. This was the kind of result that gave me a stomach ache thinking I really f-ed up. My gf convinced me it would be fine and it was. It ended up growing on me.
Time to move in- All of my family came to help- mom, dad, aunts, grandma, cousins. In this picture you can see the roots and remenants of those beautiful big Chinese Elms that were once there. For about 4 months I did everything I could to bring them back but there was no saving them.
Starting the landscaping with a clean slate.
Sod delivered.
Sod installed.
Filled up the planters.
More flowers.
Grass grabbing hold.
The backyard was awful and I left it for last. I completed it over the course of 6 months or so- working on it every now and then.
Removing junk from the back yard.
The orginal plan for the back yard- ended up doing everything except the oversized pavers on the right.
Land scape curb going down- i think these guys charged like 2 bucks a foot.
My barn shed complete- see imgur.com/a/K4wtr for that project.
And finally the "After" pictures.
We enjoyed the hell out of this backyard.
Open concept living space.
Open concept dining area.
…and again. Side Note- my gf's 79 year old grandpa built that table for her. It is the most beautiful craftsmanship I have ever seen.
Kitchen complete
Open concept kitchen.
Guest bedroom
Master bedroom
The round 2 bathroom
Bonus pic of my Elleanor- she's petrified of my power tools.
Bonus pic of my brothers pooch loving the cold counter tops.
My gf (now fiance!) and I, moving out of our first Dream Home! Thank you for looking!
Source : IRikeLeddit from Reddit