Obligatory finished picture of my firepit. This was the project of the summer. I worked on it during the weekends buying bags of mortar and laying each rock one by one.
I had to start somewhere so I dug a circle of 6 feets wide. Then I made a ring with cement 12" wide.
Didn't use any fancy tools, I just created the circle with a rod and a string..
Dry dry dry… I waited a good 3 weeks before resume the project because I didn't have time.. And I wanted to be sure it had time to cure.
A butterfly landed in my firepit.. Don't worry, I took good care of him and threw him some marshmallows.. He flew away..
Bricks.. I need fire brick. I knew I had some remaining in my shed.. I layered them around to see how much I had… Most of them were broken in half.. In really bad shape.
Found on kijiji a guy selling approx. 50 fire bricks for 40$.. I bought them. Ended up with over 120+ bricks.. Way over what I needed for the entire project.. So I ditched all my old fire bricks and sold the 60 remaining for 60$.. Profit!! Yayyy!
I started layering rocks.. At first I was looking for flat rock.. To lay the vertically.. I threw some junk brick in the middle but had to pour way too much mortar and cement.
I used a lot of rock.. And much more mortar than expected.
Rocks rocks rocks.. Bunch of mortar.. Still not sure of what I am doing but it's looking good.
Almost done.. It need the top at this point.. And I find out that I should have leveled this bad boy at the beginning of the project.
I was able to make it to the level during the installation of the last layer.. Ended up with a beautiful firepit. I used a big rock on one side so people can sit.. When there is no fire.