Custom designed bedroom wall

Custom designed bedroom wall

The final product!

I found 6 packages of ArtMinds Repositionable stripes at Michael's on clearance for $3.49 each. Prior to this, I was trying to figure out what to do with this big blank wall across from our bed. I bought the packages without a clear idea of what I was going to do. On Saturday, I started making a sketch, and by Sunday evening, I was done!
The sketch

I started with some math. The stripes were 6.5in wide, so I calculated the number of 6.5in "squares" I could fit on the wall. This came out to 14×23 whole squares/ triangles. I then flipped my paper upside down so I could start at a whole square, rather than the fractions of squares based on the size of the wall. I then marked the portion of the wall that is hidden behind the door that we never close- that's the vertical line on the left. I then mapped out my design, using dark and light triangles.
I got out my craft/ sewing tools, and marked where to cut on the back of the stripes. This must be before I marked my template. I marked at 6.5, 13, 19.5in so I could mark as many as pieces as possible without doing too much math along the way.
This was my test patch. I actually put up these few pieces before getting out my cutter and realizing I needed a new blade. After this picture, I headed to the store to pick it up, knowing that hand cutting would not be fun.
Once I got going, I marked a ton of triangles. About half way through I abandoned this practice, and began just marking the edges of the squares, and eye-balling the cut on the diagonal.
I used this small Frisker cutter. It worked perfectly given the size of the stripes.
Then I started from scratch. I was really hoping that I could eye ball the majority of this project, but soon realized it wasn't going to work. Not only that, but I had to work out the details of the slightly dipping ceiling, I got on the phone with my dad, the bricklayer, to help me plan. There were two options – cut the majority of the pieces near the middle of the wall where the ceiling dips the most, or make larger triangles near the window. I opted to "fudge" the size of 5 topmost triangles near the window in order to avoid cutting more pieces near the middle of the wall. As you'll see in the photos, I avoided this until the very end.
Here's more of the mapping. I started 6.5in down from the ceiling near the middle of the wall, and then used a level with a light to determine a level line. I marked this line with the orange post-its. I didn't want to hammer nails into the wall as my dad had suggested, so I taped navy thread on the ceiling and adjacent wall every 6.5in. I then taped the thread to the wall directly at points along the way. I realized that I could easily remove the tape below an already affixed triangle, so I didn't worry too much about it.
After planning some vertical and horizontal lines, I got really annoyed and just started putting up some triangles. As with all similar projects, these grid lines are really time consuming, especially when you're working alone. For the horizontal lines, I started on the right, and randomly taped the thread going left. I then marked every 6.5in down somewhere on the left, and then fixed the line so it was accurate and level. The vertical lines were much easier since I just dropped the line and taped it according to marks at the bottom.
Without the orange markers.
Making some progress! This is when I started taping my plan to the wall. I was adamant about following the plan rather than the easier option of going rogue. I followed the plan so meticulously that I ended up highlighting already affixed blocks. I stuck with the original plan up until about 5-10 remaining pieces at which point I was sick of cutting dark and light pieces.
Just a nice up close pic for placement.
I then started marking the squares that would remain blank with orange post-it notes. This helped with my sanity a bit. At about this point, I had highlighted so much of my plan that filling in the gaps was really annoying.
Finalllly. I was happy with the final result, but was afraid to move the grid lines in case I wanted to add anything.
I love this wall!
The final product!

In total, I used less than 3 boxes of dark, and less than 1 box of light, costing less than $14 in materials. In time, I probably spent 8-10 hours, including planning
Source : barssuck from Reddit