I recently posted a series of photos showing how I made what I’ve (unoriginally) dubbed my “Simpsons Wall”. A lot of people suggested I post a DIY about it.
Well, in January I started watching The Simpsons in its entirety. I knew that I would end up wanting to do something to show my love for the damned thing. I just had no idea what that thing would end up being. Turns out my initial inspiration came when I was sitting in a Smokey Bones on a snowy afternoon with my mom. BTW Smokey Bones is pretty fuckin' great. Just saying.
I decided my living room wall was the spot for it.
This certainly didn’t happen overnight, but after much deliberation, I finally came up with a half way decent layout. It was a little plain and unimaginative in my opinion, but I wasn’t looking to do anything super elaborate or crazy just yet. I wanted something I could mess with and update over time.
I’m the sort of person that (when working a project) tries to plan out as much as possible so that I know exactly how something will turn out. I don’t just rush at a project on a whim. I make sure every little thing will look as it should.
I settled on cheap, light picket fencing from Home Depot for a couple reasons: 1) it wasn’t until I posted this initially that I was told that sort of wood is pressure washed that it’s not the BEST choice to use indoors and 2) as stated before it’s cheap and light weight.
Stacked pieces waiting to be used. (sluts)
Stacking assembled squares.
For those wondering about the squares, the size I made is 16”x16”. I cut up a plank into four 16” pieces, power sanded them a bit and then assembled them with some screws and a couple pieces of wood. All that’s required to hang it is a decent wire and a couple nails.
Beginning the centerpiece.
The first square I painted was Mr. Sparkle.
It came out better than I expected!
After measuring everything out it was time to start hanging. The blank squares were taking up too much room.
One by one the wall starts to fill up.
Some of the odd sized pieces.
What I did is I would size the picture in Photoshop and then print out the enlargement on 8.5×11 paper and then pieced them all together for my stencil. I’d then transfer using carbon paper. Pro is you can get an exact copy to paint. Con is (depending on how hard you trace) the graphite can take 3-4 coats to cover up entirely.
Now I would love nothing more than to have the time, resources, and money to custom design the wall instead of being limited to just squares. In order to maximize my time and the originality of the wall, to give it a different look, I eliminated the black outlines and only peppered them back in when necessary. By painting every square the main color of the subject, it made it faster and easier to paint and gave it a cool look.
But now that I have the initial wall completed, I’ve already started to update and customize it! in the upper left will go a screenshot from a favorite scene of mine from movie and the bottom right will be Kodos and Kang (obviously) with Clinton and Bob Dole in the background. A Reddditor gave me a really good idea to replace a couple other squares. All in good time!