I made a Bottle Opener from an old Saw Blade

I made a Bottle Opener from an old Saw Blade

I made this bottle opener from an old table saw blade that had worn out and was sitting on my shelf gathering dust. The wooden handle is made from leftover Mesquite wood flooring that someone gave me. And the pins are just nails. I made this to get more practice working with steel and wood. And I thought it would be neat to keep the carbide tip on the bottle opener mouth.

Here is the video link of the build.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0xQi6VAVxw

I started by tracing the shape of a bottle opener on to the saw blade.
I wasn't sure what the handle would look like so I just free handed a shape that I thought would work.
Once I was happy I refined the shape with a blue marker so I would know where to cut the steel.
I used my angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut out the rough shape of the bottle opener.
Rough cut out.
I did some clean up and shaping on my 1×30 belt sander.
Used a cove file for the curved parts.
I tested the opener to see if it would work, at first it didn't so I had to modify the mouth of the opener. I used my angle grinder with the cutoff wheel.
I also used a round file to get the shape of the bottle opener just right. After these adjustments it worked perfectly.
I also did any final sanding and polishing of the metal at this point. I used various grits of sandpaper starting with 150 grit and finishing with 600 grit.
I marked and then center punched the location for the pin holes.
Then using my drill press I drilled the two holes.
Next using my drill press again I pre-drilled the holes through the wood handles. I used tape to keep everything aligned while drilling the holes.
I used nails for the pins.
Testing the fit.
I then traced the handle shape on to the wood and used my scroll saw to cut out the shape.
I used the wood I had just cut as the template for the other handle and then cut it out using my scroll saw.
I used my angle grinder again this time with a flap disc to clean up the curve of the wood handles.
I also used a round file.
And also sandpaper to get the curve just right.
I used my 1×30 belt sander to do some of the shaping on the wood handles before gluing them on.
Once they were glued this spot would be more difficult to shape.
Test fitting before glue up.
I mixed some epoxy and assembled the pieces and used clamps to hold it together. I let this dry over night.
Once the epoxy was dry I cut off the excess pin material with the angle grinder cutoff wheel.
Chunky handle needs to be shaped.
I used my 1×30 belt sander to get the basic shape of the handle then I used a worn out sanding belt to refine the shape.
Then I used various grits of sandpaper to smooth out the finish. I started with 150 grit and sanded up to 320 grit.
I applied 5 coats of a dark walnut Danish tung oil finish to the wood.
Source : danthemakerman from Reddit