As is tradition.
From the start, I knew I wanted a slanted interior section. I was going to use 1x4s and just join with them pocket hole joints…that was before I saw Cedar hardwood flooring on sale at the hardware store.
2 4×4 Cedar posts, a bunch of 2x4s, some 1×4, and then a handful of tongue-and-groove cedar flooring.
Managed to let the router get away from me a few times…that's okay – this part is getting covered up by 1x4s as part of the inside frame later.
Routed out the inside to fit the tongue and groove flooring in without too much trouble.
I left 2 of the supports in back to keep it sturdy after the build.
This was a real pain, but I knew it'd pay off.
About halfway through the right side, I realized that my measurement-to-center was off by 3/4 an inch…which meant that my flooring pieces weren't going to line up in the center. Had to trim down the right side slats to adjust, and FINALLY got it close enough to not care.
Routed down the sides of my top 2×4 so it would fit into the routed grooves of the side posts and make a nice fit.
I stained the inner frame separate from the rest of the headboard in order to get a nice finish.
I used Minwax wood conditioner first and then followed it up with 3 coats of Minwax Natural. I wanted the grain to show, and it also matches my pipe desk I built last year.
No point in staining the bottom support.
Love the way the light plays with the grain of the flooring pieces.
My roommates hate me for making the apartment smell like stain, so I let this one cure for a few days before bringing inside.