I made a wine barrel table with a whiskey showcase

I made a wine barrel table with a whiskey showcase

Bought some natural dried straw, normally used in making furniture. Cant have a barrel without some whiskey in it.
Found an old woman selling a few old wine barrels on local craigslist. The barrels were in quite a bad shape as they had been outside for several years
Labeled each part and pulled the barrel apart
The old "planks" were covered in dirt. I used a belt sander with a rough paper to get rid of the dirt and the old rotten wood. The entire room smelled like mold. It was my intention to leave the planks quite rough but clean.
Almost clean
After several days of sanding and cleaning the parts were ready
Put the barrel together again so I could align exactly where to split it. This turned out to be way harder than I imagined because there was no middle point. The closest I found made one barrel 2 cm larger than the other one.
Tried to figure out what would be the easiest way to split it, the barrel had shrunk a lot after staying inside for a month. So I pulled it apart again after marking the first and last plank, and stared gluing it together plank by plank. Each piece took around 2 hours to glue and cure before the next one could be added.

My intention was to make the outer shell as straight as possible while not caring about the inside. This was very hard as most of the planks were far from straight after drying. I screwed one plank on each side of the outer rims in order to force the planks to follow the shape of the barrel. This worked alright.

I used normal wood glue with a fast cure time.

Its holding together!
Split the covers in two, after a long debate which way to split them and glued them as well.
First steel band in place, manual metal saw turned out to be the easiest and best way to split it them. I left roughly a centimeter to spare when saving, normally there would be no spare but the barrel had shrunk so much.
Almost half way there
Bands done! They were each secured with 3 bolts each, there is a lot of tension to keep them snug around the barrel.

I used short bolts meant for screwing roofing plats in place, because I wanted the bolts to be as rough as possible but they had to be very short.

I did not want to stain such old and beautiful oak, so I went with a wax and oil finish without any color added.

The product was Osmo 1101 colorless

The top turned out quite special after the wax and oil
Bought 40mm thick oak kitchen counter top and cut it into 4 pieces for the legs. This was the most challenging part as I had no idea which would look good. These thick heavy legs were the first revision.
Revision 1.
It looked really bad and heavy, so back to the drawing board.
In the back revision 2 and in the front revision 3.
Revision 3 looked great, the legs were almost invisible and were very sturdy.
Temporary glass. I really wanted the glass cover to follow the line of the table.
Drawing the custom cover for the cnc machine to cut out. I made it with polylines and curve around support lines that I had measured out. The glass is meant to go 30mm out on all sides.

I measured support lines 10 and 30 cm in, with the main in the middle. Then drew diagonal lines and then curved the outer polylines. Then double checked my measurements that autocad gave me.

Glass in place!
Source : Kossu from Reddit