garden table renovation

I renovated a very old garden table.

As always, finished project first. My first project got deleted because it was missing too many information. Let's hope I do better this time 😉
And this was the table before the rework. Note the missing piece for stabilisation and the tabletop…All I know is that is was probably still from my grandpa – 60 yrs old at least was all my grandma could say to me. Wood used (at least for the legs) was oak I guess, because it was very hard. I think it actually still looks ok, considered it was outside most of the time.
Side view – the top layer is beyond repair.
I started taring down the top layer with this splitter (? I'm quite bad with english names for tools) and a plastic hammer. It was "only" glued together.
Halfway done – not as easy as I expected.
The Edge of the lower wood broke as I tried to separte the layers. I didnt see it till then but the lower part was obviously rotten.
Another side view.
All done, first nail pulled with the black pliers (?).
Better shot of the rotten part. I wanted to reuse the lower layer but this was beyond repair. Wormholes everywhere.
Shot of the nails.
All pulled apart, frame still standing.
Full shot of the top (downside). Maybe I'll reuse so parts of it.
The joints.
Better shot of the joints, wooden pin to lock it down.
Decided to drill it open with 10mm and to replug it later with wooden pegs (?).
Unlocked – had to use hammer and a piece of old wood because the glue was still quite strong.
Simple drawing to remember which parts were where.
All disassembled.
Sanded down (sorry no shot – I used 80 grid paper first and 240 later. Still some color differences but it felt very smooth and I didnt want to take off too much.
I cut down 2 cm off the legs with a tablesaw because they were rotten and not the same length.
The stuff I used for stain and protection (hehe).
All stained – two times. The brighter piece of wood is the replacement for the missing connection. Just some spare wood I had around.
All glued together, the 10 mm holes plugged with the wooden pegs and not stained yet (bright parts in the legs).
Pegs stained. Still visible but this will do.
No pics again, sorry. We still had some pieces of pine from IKEA shelves that I had as a kid. I wasnt gonna nail the tabletop to the frame again so I simply glued two shelves together. The amount of glue needed was insane. Remember to distribute the glue to both sides in very thin layers for the best result. And have many clamps. Many. Also use woodpieces for better force distribution and protection of the clamped wood. Pine is very soft anyway.
After removing the clamps (24h) and the first cut with the circular saw.
Smoooooth. Better than I expected.
All sides cut and top layer sanded (again 80 grid first, later 240). I used my dads belt sander for the whole thing. The old coating was quite hard to get off.
I wanted to use pocket screws but only the realised, that I probably should have done this before reassembling the frame…well, had to do it anyway 😉 3 screws per side should be enough to pull down the tabletop to the frame. I decided against pegs because I wanted the legs to be reinforced by the pressing force of the table top against them.
Testing. Actually this was before sanding – sorry.
Testfitting again – this looks good.
I Applied 3 coats of stain protection – I am quite happy with the result. Actually I dont even want it to stay outside 😉 It also is much more stable than before. We'll see how long it lasts this time.
Source : ileavethishere from Reddit