A Classic Mac Trash Can

I saved a classic Mac from the trash bin only to turn it into a trash bin with a swinging “screen” door.

A Classic Mac Trash Can

The finished trash can next to my desk. It features a spring-loaded door where the screen was.
The Screen Door

I keep putting paper into my computer but it never fills up!
The Donor Shell

A decade ago I got a few of these from a surplus sale with the intention of doing something with them someday. An aquarium? Nah, been done. And I don't need that kind of responsibility.
Removed the Cover

A T-15 driver took the front panel off.
Artists Sign Their Work

The team that created it signed their names on the inside of the back.
Calm down, I'm not destroying a priceless artifact! The signatures are molded into the plastic, and this was a part of every single one of these produced.
Curved Bezel

The front bezel is curved for the 9" screen. The flat acrylic I planned to use for a screen/door would leave gaps.
Curving the "Screen"

300F degrees in the oven for 7 minutes softened the acrylic enough that when I set it in the bezel it conformed perfectly to the shape, then hardened.
Hinge Standoffs

Attaching some blocks with acrylic cement to lift the hinges off the screen.
Hinge Assembly

Cementing the spring-loaded hinges to the stand-off blocks

I mounted the hinges too far in, so they hit the mounting points for the screws that attached the front panel. I used the spindle sander to take off a corner from each.
Bezel Block

I glued another block to the front panel, so it would be at the same height as the hinges.
Hinge Gluing

I glued the hinge to the panel.
Weighting the Screen

Applying some weight so that the spring hinges stay put while the glue dries. Damn, this rum is delicious AND useful!

Time to make the trash bin half of the project! Cutting the panels to size on the radial arm saw. 14" tall by approximately 9" square (the size of the base of the computer).
Building the Box

Gluing and clamping it all together.
Gluing the Lid

Once the sides were dry I attached and glued the base and the top.
Filling the Joints

The edge of the 1/2" plywood is rough, so I filled it with joint compound.
Marking the Feet

I needed to transfer the locations of the feet on the computer to the base of the garbage can. Butting the straight edge against them and then marking let me do so.
Drilling for the Feet

I wanted the computer to rest IN the base, rather than ON it, so I drilled 3/4" holes in the lid for the feet to rest in.

A 1" bit to radius the corners. Then I only need to cut straight lines with the jigsaw.
Gettin' Jiggy Wit It

Putting the jigsaw to work to cut out the opening in the top of the base.
Marking the Computer

I marked the same pattern on the bottom of the computer as on the wooden base.
Opening the Bottom of the Computer

This part SUCKED. Sorry I didn't get pictures. Jigsaw: failed. Router: failed (and cracked the corner at the left). I eventually used a Dremel tool and cutting disc, and basically melted my way around. The edges were rough, but cleaned up easily enough with sandpaper.
Final Sanding

Sanding off the joint compound and smoothing everything.
Paint Matching

I took the bottom I'd cut from the computer into Lowe's to get a paint that matched. Unfortunately, because the bottom wasn't exposed to UV light like the rest was, it hadn't yellowed, so it's not a perfect match.
Wet Paint

Two coats of paint.
If anyone needs a 9/10 of a quart of Mac colored paint, send me a note. I can't think of much use for the rest of it.

Ready to collect my trash. I'm considering adding magnets so that the top and bottom halves stay attached, but decided to try using it first.
Source : HaHaBird from Reddit