Made my dumb blinds smart

Made my dumb blinds smart

Finished project. Wanted to reduce the cost of /u/yavin427 's "Dumb blinds made smart". Went with an ESP8266-01 module (~6$ on amazon prime) and an HS311 servo (~8$ on amazon) + protoboard and misc 3D printed parts.
My desk after 14 seconds of working

Living in a 1 bedroom doesn't leave much room for hobbies. Note the spray bottle for keeping the cat away :'-D. Key items are a good soldering iron, a cheapo power supply, a voltmeter, and lots of breadboards.
My background is mechanical so it took a lot of time and grey matter for me to get the ESP8266-01 flashed and communicating over MQTT to HomeAssistant; huge shout out to Bruh Automation for his key Youtube videos. All of the logic is run directly on the ESP8266-01; I couldn't ever get the ESP8266-01 and an Arduino Nano working reliably so I cut out the middle man. Running a very slightly modified Adafruit MQTT example firmware which communicates to CloudMQTT.
Troubleshooting + pulling my hair out. /r/esp8266 and /r/arduino were helpful.
Got a working prototype and soldered it all together. Yes, I do like fancy socks.
Modelling the gears, only need to make a maximum 180 degree rotation so I tried to save as much head room by cutting the gears because my blinds fit snug with the ceiling.
Dremel'd a little section out of the (Ikea) blinds to fit the servo and gears. Testing the sizing.
Iteration is key. Took me quite a few prints to get a press fit gear and to get the center to center distance perfect.
Modelling the housing. I wanted to avoid using adhesives because it's a rental and wanted a fairly modular/removeable design.
Print print print. I'm using a MakerFarm i3v 8". Been with her for over a year now and while we've had our rocky moments, she's been printing like a champ for a while now.
Fitted housing into the blinds.
Testing the design. The blue section is just heat shrink tubing to try and keep the gear from sliding. It really doesn't take much loading so I'm not too worried about it now.
Going to find a better solution to hide the cables and protoboard but it works for now. And realistically, it'll work until I finish the rest of the blinds in the apartment.
Got it working with Home-Assistant. Took a little bit of backend voodoo to get it working with the Amazon Echo. Had to connect the echo to IFTTT which I then connected to Home Assistant which is itself connected to CloudMQTT. I really need to brush up on my keep-it-simple-stupid design but fail fast, fail often has gotten me this far.
Thanks for reading until the end!

Obligatory cat-tax. He is still very skeptical of things moving without his humans being around.
Source : MatusisDrake from Reddit