Making a batman/batgirl cowl from urethane rubber

Making a batman/batgirl cowl from urethane rubber

Final Product. Cast in Urethane Rubber (VitaFlex40)

If you're into this sort of thing you can find it on my etsy shop. www.etsy.com/shop/zoalprimeprops
Starting with a base layer of clay. This is an oil based clay from Monster Makers – love this stuff!
Cut down the thickness all around the head and started to mark out where the details were going.
After adding the first "ear" I decided that the brow was off a little. When I am doing 2D art in Photoshop these fixes are always a simple lasso selection and move away – so I tried to replicate that with clay.
You can see some of the lines and points I used for symmetry reference. Even in the final product it's not perfect but I am still trying to improve this aspect. I used dial calipers and a compass to do my best.
This time around I wanted to do a waste mold. This is a mold that using less materials and is only good for 1 casting. This is a thin silicone rubber layer.
a cheap and fragile mother mold to hold it all together. Plaster strips. Vaseline was used down the middle where the overlap is so I could separate the two halves.
Cast in Smooth-On SmoothCast 320. Urethane Resin. The clay sculpt was rough – this is where we fix it up.
The bulk of the work on this project. Sanding sanding sanding, bondo to fill dents. Apoxie Sculpt to fix areas that needed greater work.
So much sanding. The grey outline along the bat ear is apoxie sculpt.
Primer added to better check progress of smoothing.
a nice black spray paint added so the next mold would pick up a nice consistent surface quality.
Quick shot of the main mold being constructed.
The first casting of the cowl in Urethane Rubber.

If you made it this far – thanks for reading! If you have any questions i'll be happy to answer.

Source : ZoalPrime from Reddit