Nothing done yet- just down in the garage. Bought this from the classifieds from a draftsman who said he no longer used it. He was a nice guy, but his house smelled AWFUL- like a thousand litter boxes and cigarettes. I thought the scent wouldn't stick to metal but I was wrong. Note the damaged portion at the top.
Taking it apart. Assembled with Philips screws. Nothing fancy. I disassembled the entire thing with a Philips screwdriver.
It's older than me.
These are some of the pics I took for when I reassembled it. I'm really glad my dad gave me that advice, because it stayed disassembled for a month and I couldn't have reassembled it (well, not without some serious trial and error) without them.
Hand sanded these off.
Took it into as many parts as I could get it. Sanded all the parts to remove the stank and so the new paint would have a little more grip.
Borrowed my dad's rotary sander. first 100 (i think- rough0). 160 grit then 220. The sawdust stank.
7 coats. We used a 4" brush to paint it on
Wanted to use metallic Rustoleum to do this. Terrible streaking, spray can spat everywhere. Would not recommend. My dad and I have pretty steady hands so I don't think it was an application problem
Texture issues too. Fortunately this was a non-visible part of the board.
The old handle looked OK, but it was plastic, old, and there wasn't any way to get a new one for the other drawer. Drawers without handles are stupid so I picked up some brushed nickel handles from Amazon. I really like them.
resprayed brackets…mild texture issue
In its new home- my soon-to-be studio!