Check out GourmetPaperMache's channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCdccmgAQkJrUDfmtRHVbsfw.
He's got a 6 part Tutorial on how to make complicated masks using cloth mache and paper mache. It's the same process we used for the Demogoron. It's super easy. Couldn't have done it without this guy.
– 1 Sheet of Wire Mesh (I used Activ-Wire Mesh I found at Michael's)
– Wire Coat Hangers (I used about 10)
– Masking Tape (Get A LOT! and in varying thickness)
– Elmer's Glue All
– 1 White Bed Sheet
– Flour & Water
– Hot Glue Gun
– Paint Brushes
– Exacto Knife
– Serrated Steak Knife
– Wire Cutters
– Large Bowl
– Sculpy (For the teeth)
– Craft Moss (found at Hobby Lobby)
– Craft Styrofoam Balls (for support inside the mask)
– Black Mesh Fabric
– Acryllic in White, Black, Yellow, Red, and Brown
– Clear-dry Glaze
This is easy. Just wrap the wire mesh around your face and press it into shape. The edges are sharp, so wrap them in masking tape. This will act as a frame for the rest of the mask. Give yourself a bit of wiggle room. Snip off extra wire with scissors
Cut or rip your white bedsheet into strips and pour some glue into the big bowl. Dip the cloth in the glue and apply it all over the wire frame. You want 1 or 2 layers of thickness.
So, to make all those petals that are fanning out around the Demogorgon's face, I had to get creative. I used wire hangers and bent them into a rough outline of what I wanted them to look like. I focused on giving the petals a lot of curves and interesting shapes in order to give the final product a lot of depth and detail.
So, we need to paper mache these petals before we attach them to the mask. In order to do that, we need to use some newspaper to fill-in the petals. Just take newspaper and roll it into strips and attach it all to the wire-frame using masking tape.
There's not a specific ratio of flour to water I used. I just tried to achieve a soup-like consistency. Use large pieces of newspaper to make your life easier and avoid dunking the newspaper directly into the paste. Just apply the paste with your fingers. We went for 4-5 layers of thickness.
So, in order to prevent the final mask from being really heavy, it was important to remove the wire hangers and newspaper inside of the petals. Use a serrated steak knife or bread knife to saw the petals in half all the way across, and then tape them back together with masking tape. It feels like you're ruining your project, but don't forget, we're going to re-strengthen everything at the end with a final layer of cloth mache.
This was probably the most frustrating step so far. It took awhile to position the petals in the right spot and it took A LOT of masking tape to secure it to the mask. It was helpful to rip off a bunch of tape and put it all around the counter for easy access. Don't be afraid to use a lot of masking tape. It's important to get these petals exactly where you want them. I also attached a bent wire hanger to the reverse side of the triangular petal at the very top. This prevented it from sagging and bending down in front of the mask.
So far, everything that has been done was to craft a basic shape and structure to the mask. It's finally time to start focusing on the detail work that's really going to give the mask some life. I used masking tape to make natural curves that imitate flower petals and to make each of the petals look naturally attached to each other.
STEP NINE: Cloth Mache (Not Pictured)
I was busy working and we were in crunch-time to get this mask completed before Halloween, so my girlfriend did the last layer of cloth mache. This last layer is super important! It will give the mask a lot of strength and also a lot of natural looking detail.
So, after the last layer of cloth mache dries, it's time to paint. My girlfriend was the brains behind the painting. First, she used a base layer of tan-color to cover the entire mask. Then, she used black-washing to cover the reverse-side of the mask. She painted the middle face area black, and painted the middle of each petal red to make it look alive and fleshy. Then, she added details in yellow, red, pink, white, and black to make the mask look gross, alive, and Earth-like. A final coat of clear-dry glaze was added to make it look moist, like the inside of a mouth.
1. I cut eye and mouth holes with the exacto knife
2. I added black mesh to the inside of the mask to cover up my eyes and mouth while also allowing me to see and breath.
3. I hot-glued these styrofoam balls to the inside of the mask to add stability. The mask was pretty front-heavy with all those petals, so I prevented the mask from tipping forward by bracing it against my face with these balls.
5. Moss. Hot glue some craft moss in strategic positions to make the mask look earthy and gross.
6. Hot glue gun residue looks a lot like drool! While gluing on the teeth and moss, we took the strands of hot glue gun and stretched them all over the mask to look like froth and drool.
So, we got a pair of Zombie Hands from a local Halloween Store and extended the fingers using just masking tape. Masking tape was also used to add knuckles. Then, we painted it brown to match the gloves and painted the tips of the fingers black. Making the fingers abnormally long was important to make the costume look creature-like and to distort my human shape.
We wanted to focus our efforts on the mask, so we didn't put a lot of work into creating a specific Demogorgon suit. We just bought a dinosaur costume from our local Halloween store. Thankfuly it matched pretty well! Maybe next year we'll improve the costume by creating our own suit.