Frank from Donnie Darko costume.

My Frank from Donnie Darko costume.

The finished product.
This was the only faux fur that was even close to the original costume. It was one metre wide and I was told I should get about three metres of fabric to make a bodysuit, but they only had one and a half metres left so I got the rest of the bolt.
I didn't have actual pattern making paper so I used some that it typically used for embroidery and taped the sheets together. My mom helped me create the pattern from an existing onesie that was my size. The legs look really short because when the pattern was placed on the fabric we just continued the line straight down to the end of the fabric. It was really close trying to get all the pieces out of what little fur I had.
Two sleeves sewn. Sewing faux fur is different than sewing other materials because you have to push all the hair away from the seam onto the right side. I didn't do a very good job of it on the left sleeve, but I did alright on the right sleeve.

Ps. I barely knew how to use a sewing machine before this. It was a make it work moment.

The other side of the sleeve (that I poorly did). You can see the seam a bit more. The grain of the fur is going down in this picture, and the whole costume had to be sewn with that in mind. Pattern pieces couldn't be turned at a 90 or 180 degree angle because the fur would be pointing a different way on the body.
This is where the sleeves met the body. My sewing machine could barely go through two layers of this fabric, so I had to sew the points that had four pieces by hand.
This is the mostly finished body. As you can see, the legs are really long. I trimmed them after this and actually didn't hem anything because the fur mostly covers any rough edges. At this point the opening was in the back, but I later decided to wear the costume backwards so I could get myself in and out of it, but also so I could take it halfway off when I inevitably got too hot.
On to the mask. This is what I started with. It's a paper maché face made of some pretty sturdy paper. It had a thin elastic at the back that I cut off.
I wish I had a picture between this and the last one. What I did was I cut a hole right under the mouth of the mask, because the snout would cover the original mouth and I needed to breathe. The eyes are popped out of dollar store sunglasses. I know they're not accurate to the original mask, but I also needed to see. The snout and browbone are bunched up newspaper, and the ears are made from those wire clothing hangers with the thin cardboard tube on the bottom wire. Basically, I broke the hanger and tube in half and used each half for an ear. Everything is covered in paper maché clay which is made using the recipe here: whimsypapermache . blogspot . ca/2010/11/make-paper-mache-clay . html
These are the original teeth I made. They're made of the kind of clay that you bake. They weren't immediately stuck into the skull and my cat loved playing with them, so I lost two and had to make a new set.
The mostly finished sculpture.
The ears.
The paints I mixed for the colour.
It's painted the dark silver with the light silver sponged onto the high points, then black in the mouth/nose, and black mixed with a bit of grey in the ears.
The colours I used on the teeth.
Teeth are just stuck in with hot glue.
I covered the whole mask (including teeth) in this even though the lady at the art store said I didn't have to.
The inside of the mask. It was really heavy and I didn't want all the weight sitting on my nose, so I glued makeup sponges onto the forehead and chin. I couldn't have anything touching my cheeks so as not to get blood smeared everywhere. You can also see where I've sewn in the elastic. I couldn't glue or paper maché it in securely, so I got my dad to cut holes in the mask to feed it through and sew it to itself.
The elastic contraption. It's actually very sturdy.
I sewed the fur to the elastic parts, then got some self-adhesive velcro for the jaw areas. The other side of the velcro I sewed onto the fur. Wouldn't recommend sewing adhesive velcro.
Because I ended up wearing the suit backwards, the neck in the back was lower than the front. I had to make the back of the mash extra long to cover that. This part is made of about eight patched together scraps because I got barely enough fabric.
The final deal.
Closer image of the eye gore. I don't have progress pictures for this, but it was a bandaid over my eye, covered in liquid latex and some cotton pieces. Then covered that in scab blood and two drips of runny blood.
Source : baconaked from Reddit