Red Oak pedal board build

Red Oak pedal board build

Finished product

After much blood, sweat, dust, tears and marital strife, she is done. This is my first ever real woodworking project that wasn't simply screwing stuff together and I learned a ton. Definitely going to be building more now that I have the tools and a bit more know how. Build process below.
Raw materials

I went with red oak for the side boards and birch ply for the top. All 3/4 inch thick. I knew the top was going to be covered in velcro loop so the plywood worked great. I'd already gone through a bunch of screwed up cuts by this point. These were by no means perfect, but close enough that I was comfortable moving on. Pocket holes drilled and ready.
So it begins…

Everything is joined with pocket screws and some wood glue. I sanded the top and sides for uniform joints as everything didn't line up perfectly when joined (shocking right?). All top facing parts of the boards have a 7 degree decline on them, so sanding them without ruining the angle was definitely stressful for someone as heavy handed as I am. I rounded the corners on a whim and dug it, gave it a more natural look.
Getting dimensions

I had some metal cabinet handles leftover from changing ours out when we moved in. I like that they are a bit longer and more stout than the ones you normally see. This board isn't going out on the road, so this was purely fashion (and availability) over function. I'm using my OD pedal to get measurements for where I want my router cuts for the power cables to be.
Test fit

I have my router cuts all marked out, once last test fit before it gets real.
Routing is hard…

Never routed before in my life…this sh!t is hard. Had some guides clamped down, everything was smooth sailing until the guide started to creep and well, here ya go. Thankfully I had more plywood, and quickly made my self another top.
That's better

Aw yeah, that's the stuff.
Power cable

My routing had improved by the time I was ready to make the hole for the power cable.
Jack hole (heh)

Used a 1 inch forstner bit to make the holes for the 1/4 Neutrik jacks I purchased. Those bits make everything so much easier, love em.
Nope, still suck at routing

The hole in the top left is for a power indicator lamp, the one below it is for a master power switch. Thankfully I didn't screw up so bad that I had to make a new top, but that sucker aint winnin no beauty contests.
Stain time

Used some minwax stain, I think it was Red Oak, and loved the way it started to shape up. There is a significant difference in the color and grain on the sides compared to the front which I love. Definitely chose the right color for what I had envisioned in my head.
Sumbitchin velcro

I bought some superloop fabric from WestCoast pedalboards and slapped it on the top with the help of some Super 90. A little trimming on the edges with a fresh exacto knife and voila. There was a little wavyness in the top left after my rolling pin slipped out of my hands and shattered on the floor (quick tip: don't use a cold wine bottle as an impromptu rolling pin, it will slip out of your hands shatter on the floor and mess up your velco. Also, your wife will be pissed you threw away good wine and your friends and family will be dissapoint) but it didn't bother me enough to start over. 90% good = win to me.
Almost there!

I squeezed the top into the base and joined it all together with pocket screws. I was pretty stoked at this point, expecting something to be completely off or look so shitty it could not be ignored. But I didn't find anything not to like, so I pressed onto the handles and wiring.
Wiring

Another WestCoast Pedalboards item, the prewired power harness is the bomb. Could I have sourced and put this together myself piece by piece? A tepid maybe. Is this most likely way safer and well put together? Hell yes. Seriously can't say enough about these guys products, they make some great kit. The Neutrik jacks I grabbed off Amazon, great products as well. Super easy to wire and tough as hell from the feel of them. I grabbed some Mogami cable from Redco audio (another kickass company) a long with some Switchcraft 228 input jacks. Those are also super easy to wire if your lazy like me and just do mechanical grounding as opposed to trying to solder to the housing.
Test

Wanted to make sure everything worked after installation, blue light means we goooood. All that's left is to put the Switchcraft jacks on the input / output lines (they were too big to fit through the wiring channels).
And boom goes the dynamite

She is done! I honestly couldn't be happier with how it turned out. It looks just like what I had envisioned and is as solid as a rock. I learned a ton through the process and it has definitely turned me on to doing more DIY stuff. The usable space is 16 x 22, the whole piece is 17.5 x 23.5.
So much space

I think it's definitely time to add some more pedals to my collection, those 4 just look so lonely up there!
My first board

This is what I was using before. Yeah, I really had no idea what I was doing 🙂 Cheers!
Source : myfingerpoints5 from Reddit