Ring from a steel hex nut

Ring from a steel hex nut

The Final product

Inspired by www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mx76zjFQe0, decided to try it without any power tools.

For this I purchased a cheap hacksaw, set of files, and an 16mm steel hex nut.

Removing the thread with a round file

Having a vice would have made most of this project easier, instead I made do with holding the file still in one hand, and moving the nut in the other, rotating it as I went to keep the wear even.
Thread gone

A few hours and two very sore arms later…
Little finger for scale

It didn't quite fit over the second knuckle of my ring finger at this point, but i plan to widen the inside later when I even it out.
Cutting the basic shape

Without a vice I jammed the nut onto the original bolt to get a better grip and then braced it down against the table by hand. This hacksaw design was useless I highly recommend using a full sized one that keeps decent tension on the blade instead.
Halfway there

This literally took hours, though I was fairly distracted by TV for much of it. Next time I'm definitely using a vice and metal cutting bit. I left the connectign sections on so I would have slightly more to grip while I did the other side.
Short break to play with fire and steel powder

It's certainly no aluminium dust, but amusing nonetheless.
Both edges off

This took far too long, and was really messy since it was 6 cuts, not one straight through, time for some filing. I also knocked the corners off one of the off-cuts to get an idea of what the profile would look like.
Product end of day one

I filed each side flat with a bastard file, and began rounding out the corners.
Time for fine tuning

Used a small half round file to even out the inside and begin thinning it out.
I filed my finger a bit as well.

A vice would have prevented this too…. instead I covered the section I was rubbing with tape, and adjusted my grip.
Source material and WIP

needs more thinning out
Finished sizing, I think

Wet sanding

Went back to the hardware store and got myself some sanding paper ( 250, 400, 600 ,800, 1200 grit), I would have liked to go to 1600, but they didn't have any.

The goal of this step is to keep going on each grade until you can no longer see any scratches from the previous grade. I got a little impatient at this point and focused mainly on the top face.

Final product

You can see what it looks like when it hasn't been sanded enough on the inside, it's a bit hard to see because of the poor focus though, camera seemed more intent on capturing teh file scratches on my thumb nail instead.
I wanted to show the scratches from lazy sanding so I took a better focused photo at work later.
Final product and fit.

Source : SoulEntropy from Reddit