Music is a big part of my life and I've always wanted my own little place for it. I needed a room where I could turn up the volume without disturbing the rest of the family or neighbors. After 3 years (mostly to monetary constraints) and a lot of learning, I finally have the space I've always dreamt of.
I carved out a portion of my basement and put up two stud walls for the outer wall.
Got a ton of Roxul Safe n' Sound. This stuff is great and easy to install.
Put up a door and started installing Roxul in the walls and ceiling.
Coated the walls and floor in drylok paint. I wasn't having water intrusion issues, but I figured "better safe" in this case.
Added plywood layer to ceiling. Used 2' x 4' sections because I didn't have a lift at the time.
Boxed out I-beam and added Roxul plus plywood.
Put up 4 new stud walls create the inner room.
2 doors are better than 1.
I really wanted to start using the room so I put in vinyl flooring. It probably wasn't best to do before adding the walls but I was anxious to make a bit of noise down there.
Added Roxul to inner walls.
Added plywood layer to inner walls.
Added mass loaded vinyl to the ceilings and caulked the edges. Things got a little Escher.
Installed isolation clips and hat track in the ceiling.
First layer of drywall installed into the hat track.
Finished putting mass loaded vinyl across all the walls.
First layer of drywall on inner walls.
Ordered a bunch of Green Glue.
It is kind of fun to just go crazy with it.
The green glue gap. I was skeptical of this stuff but it really seemed to make a difference. After this step I could play drums in the basement and you couldn't hear it on the second floor.
Finishing the drywall. First time I had done this so it was a little sloppy but I ended up getting it pretty decent.
Primed/Painted walls and ceiling. Ignore all those wires…
Adding soffits for recessed lights.
Put accent lighting on top of the soffit.
Accent can be switched to different colors.
Colors can be controlled independently.
Finishing the lighting with drywall.
Added metal trim to edge of drywall near accents.
Added metal trim throughout the room on edges.
Put in conduit and electrical sockets. Ran everything inside the room to minimize holes for sound to escape.
Put in some bass traps.
Put some foam on the ceiling and walls. Built this panel to be removable so I can deaden the drums for practice or liven them up for recording.
Finished Product. Facing West.
Finished Product. Facing East.