Before and after! The front skirt deck piece wasn't long enough, so I added a 1×2 along the bottom. I did the same thing on the step to try and give it a more "complete" look
The first thing I did was drill into the original concrete decking and lay sleepers for the deck slats to attach to. This was my first time using a mason bit, and I learned quickly that the key is to go SLOWLY and let the bit do the work, don't try and rush it or you will overheat/bend the bit.
After tilling up the dirt, I butted a 4×4 up against the front step to give me a reference line for where to put the post. I leveled EVERYTHING much more than necessary, simply because I learned my lesson the hard way about setting a post that wasn't plum/level.
I did the same thing with butting against the front of the deck for the other side's front post, then used that post as a reference to keep the rear posts in line. Again, over leveling everything.
The right side of the deck attaches to the front of the house directly. Since the house staggers,the left side does not attach like this.
All posts in and set, time for framing!
All posts set, I began framing (slats are just lying on top to make sure I had enough). I added one support beam on each open side of the deck running the same direction as the sleepers.